Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Playing for Pizza

[I should begin this post with a disclaimer: This is the first of Grisham's novels I have read. Fans should take the following criticism with that in mind. (Apparently his "legal thrillers" are what I'm missing, and I acknowledge that.)]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Grisham has taken a break from writings of his usual path and turned out a lighthearted... adventure story? Romance? Travel drama? I'm not sure what shelf it aims to land on in the bookstore, but it seems to be a mixture of all of the above, none with success. And unfortunately, it is not as lighthearted as he intends - in fact, it's downright depressing at times.

The novel's title succinctly reflects the themes of the story: football and Italy. And that's all that the book is - detailed play-by-plays of games, and descriptions of Italian life. In between is a protagonist named Rick Dockery, a failed NFL third-string quarterback recruited to Italy to beef up an amateur team. (Since the Italian culture is immersed in futbol, "American football" has a cult following, and they are thrilled to have an NFL player join them.) To use the word "protagonist" doesn't seem accurate, as there is limited emotional depth and zero character development to him whatsoever. Initially, the author attempts (I think) to have the reader feel sorry for the poor guy - after all, he's a pro football player out of a job - but within the first three chapters Rick just looks pathetic. His romantic life later in the novel lacks any sort of spark beyond the woman being allegedly very attractive.

I have no desire to read about football, so I skipped over much of the game detail. I have been to Italy, however, so fortunately I was half interested. If there is one saving grace of this book, it is that Grisham does a marvelous job of bringing his colorful Italian characters to life. While writing, he spent ample time in the country, and as a result does justice to the culture, the people, and la dolce vita. (If only our American quarterback, who carries the story, could have been as interesting.)

In the end, I can give the author points for being original - the storyline drew me in, even if the substance was beyond disappointing. After this I feel almost obligated to give some of his more conventional fare a chance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DO READ IF: you are a Grisham enthusiast? I guess?
DO NOT READ IF: you have no interest in American football nor Italian culture... there's not much more to get out of this.

No comments: